Monday, August 1, 2011

Rastafarian Festival and Golf

Jorge and I decided to stay in Knysna this past weekend to save money for our upcoming trip to Cape Town.  After work on Friday, I did not do much.  I rode my bike into town and walked around all afternoon.  There are a lot of little shops and roadside stands to stop and visit.  Friday night, Jorge and I went to a new bar opened by one of our friends here on Thesen Island.  The great things about the bar are that it is only 50 yards away from our apartment, and we also have a running tab.  It’s a cool little place that has a great feeling and atmosphere.  I turned in relatively early on Friday around midnight. 

Saturday we did not have many plans.  We jumped on a taxi that took us to the townships around noon.  We were going to visit the Rastafarian Festival.  We were a little early, so we just walked up the streets and visited with the Rastafarians that were hanging out.  It is an interesting religion, but the people are some of the nicest people you’ll meet.  They loved meeting foreigners and getting to know about our culture.  We realized that the festival was not starting till way later in the day, so I left around 5 pm.  Jorge stayed behind, and he found a ride home later that night.  When I decided to leave, I walked around the township looking for a taxi ride back into town.  I received a couple of looks, but none threatening.  I guess I did not blend in with the township people, go figure.  Still, walking around the townships was a very humbling experience, and it really made me reflect on what I have waiting on me in Texas. 

Sunday, I went and played golf with Steff and a couple of his friends.  Steff and I work together, and he is the only guy in the office that plays golf.  We played a course called Simola.  It in nestled in the mountains that surround Knysna.  It is by far the nicest most beautiful golf course I have every played.  It is a Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course, and it was fairly challenging.  Many of the holes were very long.  Several of the par 3s were over 215 meters.  That is another thing that I have to get use to on the course.  Distances are measured in meters.  So, it did change my club selection several times.  I hit a couple of pars and bogies, but overall I played awful.  Still, I was just happy to be there playing.  It was interesting because there were baboons all over the golf course.  They do not tear up the course, but they will try and steal stuff off your cart. You have to watch them because they can be very aggressive.  Playing golf was a perfect way to spend a Sunday. 

Jorge and I will be leaving on Friday to go to Cape Town.  We do not have many plans for when we get there, so we’ll just play it by ear probably.  We will be coming back to Knysna the 9th of August.  Once we are back, we will only have thirteen days left here in South Africa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment